what paper work do i need feat. image

What Paperwork Do I Need to Sell My House UK? An Essential Guide

Are you planning to sell your house in the UK? Whether it’s your first time or you’ve done it before, gathering the right documents is crucial to ensure a smooth and hassle-free sale. In this guide, we will walk you through a comprehensive list of essential documents, compliance certificates, and additional paperwork that may be required depending on your property’s specific circumstances. Let’s answer the question, “What paperwork do I need to sell my house UK?” and get started on making your property sale a success!

Short Summary

  • Gather essential documents such as proof of identity and address, title deeds, an EPC certificate and a property information form (TA6) for the sale of your house.
  • Obtain necessary safety certificates including gas safety and electrical compliance to ensure legal requirements are met.
  • Prepare documentation early with professional help to guarantee a successful transaction.

Essential Documents for Selling Your House

documents with an energy performance certificateSelling your house involves more than just putting up a “For Sale” sign and waiting for offers. To make the process seamless, it’s vital to gather all the documents you need early on. From proof of identity to leasehold or freehold documentation, having the right paperwork at hand can expedite the sale and keep potential buyers satisfied.

What documents are necessary to sell a house in the UK? Do you have an idea which ones they might be? Let’s find out!

Proof of Identity and Address

When selling your house, one of the first steps is to verify your identity and address. This is crucial for preventing money laundering and ensuring a transparent property transaction. Acceptable evidence of identity includes a passport or driving licence, while a driving licence, bank statement, or utility bill (not older than three months) can be used for address verification.

If you don’t have any photo ID, it’s recommended to apply for a driving licence as soon as possible. In addition to verifying your identity, you may need a building regulations compliance certificate if you’ve made any modifications to your property.

Land Registry Title Deeds

Property title deeds are critical for proving property ownership. In the UK, these documents are stored electronically by the HM Land Registry and can be obtained for a fee of £3. The title register and plan documents provide essential information such as ownership, mortgage details, and property boundaries.

If your property is unregistered, your conveyancing solicitor will need to submit an application for a Title Absolute certificate. To obtain this certificate, you must demonstrate ownership of the property for more than 15 years.

It’s essential to ensure your property’s title deeds are in order before putting your house on the market.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a mandatory document assessing your property’s energy efficiency. Conducted by a professional, an EPC rates your property on a scale from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient). The certificate provides valuable information for prospective buyers regarding energy consumption and carbon dioxide emissions.

The cost of obtaining an EPC ranges from £50 to £75, and it remains valid for 10 years. Before listing your property for sale, ensure you have an up-to-date EPC to comply with legal requirements and provide potential buyers with vital information about your home’s energy performance.

Leasehold or Freehold Documentation

Identifying whether your property is leasehold or freehold is an important step in the selling process. If you own a leasehold property, you’ll need to provide a copy of the lease to the buyer, and they may request a Leasehold Information Form (TA7) for further information on leasehold properties.

For freehold properties, you’ll need to obtain a freehold share certificate. This document proves your ownership of the land on which the property is built. Gathering the necessary leasehold or freehold documentation early on can help ensure a smooth and efficient property sale.

Property Information Form (TA6)

The Property Information Form (TA6) is a comprehensive document that provides crucial information about your property to the buyer. This form includes details about boundaries, disputes, and insurance. It’s essential to complete the TA6 form accurately and honestly to avoid potential compensation claims.

Typically, the TA6 form should be filled out at the commencement of the conveyancing process. By providing detailed and accurate information about your property, you can ensure potential buyers are well informed and avoid any unexpected surprises that could derail the sale.

Fittings and Contents Form (TA10)

The Fittings and Contents Form (TA10) is a legally binding document that outlines which items are included or excluded from the sale of your property. This form helps prevent misunderstandings and disputes between you and the buyer regarding fixtures and fittings.

Once the TA10 form is completed, it becomes a legally binding part of the contract for the sale of your property. To avoid any issues during the property transaction, it’s essential to complete this form accurately and transparently, detailing all fixtures and fittings that will remain in the property upon the sale.

Property Compliance Certificates

In addition to the essential documents, there are various property compliance certificates that you may need to gather. These certificates ensure the safety and compliance of different aspects of your property, such as gas, electrical, and window installations.

Let’s dive deeper into these important certificates and their role in selling your house.

Gas Safety Certificate

A family looking at a document with a gas safety certificateA Gas Safety Certificate demonstrates the proper functioning and safety of your property’s gas system. While it’s not legally mandated for selling a house, obtaining a Gas Safety Certificate is highly recommended for safety considerations.

To acquire a Gas Safety Certificate, you’ll need to hire a registered gas safety engineer to inspect your property’s gas system. By providing a valid Gas Safety Certificate to potential buyers, you give them peace of mind and ensure that your property meets safety standards.

Electrical Safety Certificate

The Electrical Safety Certificate verifies the safety and compliance of your property’s electrical system. This certificate is required to finalize the sale of your residence, as it confirms that all new electrical work and modifications adhere to regulations.

To obtain an Electrical Safety Certificate, you’ll need to hire a qualified electrician to inspect your property’s electrical system. Providing this certificate to potential buyers not only An image of an Electrical Safety Certificate, which is a required paperwork to sell a house in the UK according to what paperwork do i need to sell my house ukensures compliance with regulations but also instils confidence in the overall safety and functionality of your house.

FENSA or CERTASS Certificates for Windows

FENSA or CERTASS. Certificates for Windows play a vital role in ensuring that your property’s windows and doors comply with building regulations. These certificates act as evidence that any new windows or door installations meet the relevant standards.

If you’ve had new windows or doors installed in your property, it’s essential to obtain a FENSA or CERTASS certificate before listing your property for sale. This not only ensures compliance with building regulations but also provides potential buyers with the assurance that your property meets the necessary standards.


Additional Documentation for Various Circumstances

Depending on your property’s specific circumstances, you may need to gather additional documents from the local authority. These can include planning permissions, guarantees, and leasehold information.

Let’s take a closer look at these additional documents and their importance in selling your property.

Planning Permission and Building Regulation Certificates

A family looking at a document with a planning permission certificateIf you’ve made any alterations or extensions to your property, it’s crucial to provide Planning Permission and Building Regulation Certificates. These documents serve as proof that the legal process was followed, and the changes made to your property were approved by the relevant planning and building authorities.

It’s recommended to obtain these certificates prior to listing your property for sale, as this can help avoid delays and potential issues during the sale process. By providing these documents to potential buyers, you demonstrate transparency and compliance with all regulations related to your property’s modifications.

Guarantees and Warranties

Guarantees and warranties provide evidence of any work completed on your property, as well as warranties for any fixtures or appliances left behind. These documents can be particularly useful for new build properties, which usually include structural warranties.

By providing guarantees and warranties to potential buyers, you can instill confidence in the quality of work done on your property and the longevity of fixtures and appliances. This can be a significant selling point and help facilitate a successful property sale.

Leasehold Information Form (TA7) and Leasehold Pack

When selling a leasehold property, you’ll need to provide a Leasehold Information Form (TA7) and Leasehold Pack. The TA7 form contains all the necessary information for selling a leasehold property, including an LPE1, fire risk assessment, insurances, and financial accounts.

It’s advisable to request the leasehold pack as soon as possible after accepting an offer to avoid delays in the sale process. The pack includes various documents, such as an LPE1, fire risk assessment, insurances, financial accounts, and more, provided by the freehold owner. By having these documents ready, you can ensure a smoother and more efficient property sale.

Preparing Documents Early and Working with Professionals

too much paperwork!
Dont Get Over Whelmed

Gathering all the necessary documents early in the selling process is crucial for a successful property sale. By having everything in order before listing your property, you can reduce the risk of avoidable delays, costs, and buyers withdrawing their offers at a later date. Working with professionals such as conveyancers, estate agents, and other specialists can also be invaluable in ensuring a smooth sale process.

By being proactive and organized with your paperwork, as well as collaborating with experienced professionals, including a management company and a managing agent, you can navigate the property sale process with confidence and achieve a successful outcome. Remember, the more prepared you are, the smoother your property sale will be!


Selling your house in the UK involves gathering a wide range of essential documents, compliance certificates, and additional paperwork depending on your property’s specific circumstances. By preparing these documents early and working with professionals, you can ensure a smooth and efficient property sale. Now that you’re equipped with the knowledge of what paperwork is required to sell your house, it’s time to get organized and make your property sale a success!

Do you need gas and electrical certificate to sell my house?

No, you do not need to have a gas or electrical certificate to sell your house. It is recommended that you have an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) carried out as it may uncover any potential risks.

This can help to make the property more appealing to buyers and could save you from potential legal issues in the future.

What forms do you fill in when selling a house?

Selling a house requires a range of forms to be completed and submitted, including the title register & plan documents, proof of ownership, an energy performance certificate (EPC), lease, and contract for sale & transfer agreement.

A successful property transaction depends on all these forms being completed accurately and in full.

What is the purpose of an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

Energy Performance Certificates are essential for assessing the energy efficiency of a building, providing details of energy consumption and carbon dioxide emissions.

They are a legal requirement for all buildings in the UK, and are used to inform potential buyers or tenants of the energy efficiency of a property.

The certificates are issued by qualified assessors, who will examine the certificates.

How can I verify my identity and address when selling my house?

Verifying your identity and address when selling a house can be achieved through validating your passport or driving license, as well as a recent bank statement or utility bill.

With these documents, you can confidently secure the sale of your hom

What are property compliance certificates?

Property Compliance Certificates confirm that a property meets relevant government regulations and safety standards. They are essential for landlords or potential buyers, as they provide assurances that the property is safe and up to code.

Property Compliance Certificates are a legal requirement in many countries, and they must be obtained before a property can be sold or rented. They are also important for landlords.

Cash Property Buyers, We Buy Any House

Speak to a member of our team and find out how we can help you sell your house quickly.

About the author

Starting his career in Estate Agency, Jeff quickly moved up the ranks to manage his own office for Halifax Property Services. Co-founding Speed Property Buyers in 2008, he has applied this knowledge and overseen rapid expansion of the business.