“Don’t wait to buy property, buy a property, and wait.” – T. Harv Eker
Here, we have compiled 10 useful ways that can help increase the value of your investment in the UK property market.
- Basic structural repairs – Even before you consider any cosmetic enhancements to your property, make sure you get the structural repairs done. These structural repairs could be anything from a crack in a wall, missing or broken tile, leaking roof, unstable chimney to an insect infestation. Getting rid of such problems can be an expensive and tedious affair, but they are essential for good upkeep of the property.
- Update essential services – Upgrading the electrics and plumbing is essential if the house has not been rewired for many years or the pipe-work is old and getting rusted. Check your electric meter, fuse box that may need a re-wiring or an installation of a modern consumer unit. Over time water pipes can get damaged and become leaky. So, make sure that the plumbing work is all up to date.
- Check and fix all superficial defects – Small defects may cumulatively affect the value of any property. Typical defects such as peeling paint, broken windows, dripping taps, unpleasant smells, broken door knobs, squeaking doors and windows need to be fixed.
- Loft conversion – Converting the roof space or the loft can be a good investment as it adds more space. However, do remember to seek professional advice and make sure you follow the building regulations.
- Kitchen makeover – A modern and hygienic kitchen is a must to attract both buyers and property surveyors. Give your kitchen a new lease of life according to its size and shape.
- Spruce up the bathrooms – Replace taps, shower screen, towel rails and whatever you think can make it look more appealing.
- Garden maintenance – A well-designed and attractive garden can do wonders and increase the property value. Add some sitting space and colour and be sure to remove dead plants and litter. Aesthetics do matter!
- Conservatory – Adding a glass conservatory can raise value of your home. But be sure to choose a design that complements the style of the house.
- Make your home Eco-friendly – Adding insulation and solar panel heating can make a big difference in the energy bills.
- Invest in security – With security breaches sadly becoming a norm rather than an exception, it has become crucial to invest in security. Any potential buyer will consider this very seriously and this will impact the valuation of the property.
So, go ahead and make your property the ‘pick of the bunch’!